market-farming - Re: RE: [Market-farming] hoop house plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bill AT farmerbill.downhomecountry.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: RE: [Market-farming] hoop house plastic
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:34:02 +0100

Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net> wrote on 03/03/2004, 15:13:40:

> Bill, where exactly on the ATTRA site did you find hoop house plans?

Marie, Sorry about that. The direct link to the plans is:
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1825/eb1825.html

Another set of plans is at:
http://www.westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

We found it took 5 panels of corrugated 2x8' corrugated plastic to clad
the ends instead of the 4 they spec. I'll probably put hinged doors in
the ends as well. We also used 10' 3/4" 200 psi pvc pipe, cut 2' off
half the pieces and spliced them together with 1/2" pvc pieces to get
the 18' bows rather than tracking down 20' sticks. Also, we used 1/2"
pvc for the stakes instead of the rebar. They spec 4" bolts to tie the
ends to the bows...unless we missed something, 2 1/2" screws would be
plenty long.

Robert Shuler said:
You can get a 12 month poly we call over wintering film 20x100 for
around $70. Or a 4 year film for $130.

Robert, would you maybe have a brandname or source for the 4-year
plastic? Sounds like we may want to re-skin that thing...my nerves get
a bit frazzled late at night when the wind is howling.

I'm brandnew on this list. Thanks to all of you for making me feel
welcome and for your help and advice! FWIW we're early 50's, originally
from a farming background in the Ozark foothills in central Missouri.
Careers in feedmilling and the medical field in MO, NE and OH. We've
got 12 acres here with 2 in cropland, the rest in pasture and woodlot,
with about 1/2 acre in gardens and expanding. This is our 3rd year
selling produce and honey at farmers' markets. So much to learn...so
little time.

Bill