market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: Keeping Seeds Safe - NYT Editorial

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: Keeping Seeds Safe - NYT Editorial
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:32:19 -0500

I really doubt it. I would imagine that they (Concerned Scientists) are
doing gene tests to look for the transgenes in their grain samples.

DNA testing isn't cheap. And you wouldn't be 100% sure without destroying
every grain. Whats to say that only 5% of your crop is altered, depending
on the sampling plan (Maybe a 1000 grains, 1000 individual DNA tests) I
would think that that number would be quite expensive. Maybe a single test
could be down with a blend of 1000 grains in one test. Then the test would
indicate if the transgenes are present in any of the sample. How many grains
do you think there is in an acre of corn? You are looking at a very small
percentage of the crop. And I don't even think you could just do a test on
one grain from each ear. Each grain could be different genetically, my
understanding is that each piece of silk goes to a single grain in the ear.