market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] asbestos in vermiculite

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] asbestos in vermiculite
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:54:19 -0500

Hi Leigh,
There have been previous discussions of this. Apparently the mineral
deposits that they use for making vermiculite naturally contain the mineral
asbestos. The airborne small particles are the worst form of asbestos, as
compared to an encapsulated form. I think I heard that the fibers were used
in linoleum tiles at one point. I have heard that when companies do
asbestos removal they soak down the fibers and batts with water and certain
kinds of detergents, so that the particles don't become airborne. And I
think they suck all the exhaust air from the house through HEPA filters to
make sure they get everything. I do not have any experience in any of this,
but maybe thoroughly soaking a bale before you open it would help keep the
airborne dust down. Maybe face masks would be good.
-Paul Bock
Stone Gully