market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] micro-mixes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] micro-mixes
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:15:32 EST

In a message dated 1/22/04 1:48:02 PM Mountain Standard Time, liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com writes:
haven't grown sprouts but several years ago some food safety issues were
raised when alot of people got sick from eating sprouts grown from
contaminated seeds.  So of course everyone hopped on the media bandwagon to
regulate & patent seed sprouting.  While some of the food safety issues were
blown out of proportion (as everything is these days) it's still something
to consider when setting up a growing operation.
Actually, MicroGreens are not the same as sprouts as they are actually grown in soil (or more properly in growing medium). They so not carry with them the same supposed threats as sprouts. I use a mix of 50/50 vermiculite (or perlite) and spaghum peat moss (same for seed starting). They work well sold in flats directly to restaurants (cut as need). Bagel and sandwich shops really love them and so do fine restaurants as an addition to salad greens. My customers are happy to purchase them as salads as well. I have two different mix. Meaty-Micros(tm) which is basically sunflower, green pea, and buckwheat (maybe something else now and again), and Zesty! Greens(tm) - a mix of radish, fenugreek, onion, leek, alflafa, and maybe another thing or two.

MicroGreens are a great source of winter income. Sometimes educating your market is the toughest part. Good luck! Oh my favorite source of certified organic microgram seed is Tiensvold Farms   www.eatorganicbuffalo.com  just request a seed price list and they will send it to you!

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm and CSA

www.IdleThymeFarms.com

If you would have a lovely garden, you should live a lovely life! ~ Shaker saying