market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: borrowed land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: borrowed land
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:07:19 -0800

Hi Kevin,

Risk management is a good thing. In the US for a lease to be enforcible in a court of law, it must be in writing.

One way to so this might be to sit down with her and ask about her comfort level with things like noise, coming and going times, water and the maintenance of the lines, how much of the crop she'd like for fresh eating or putting by, etc. Take notes while you talk then reduce them to a simple understanding. You'll want to say what happens to the crop should anything happen to either one of you.

I have a share crop lease I've used to both rent land and to rent out my land. I modified it from a lease drawn by an attorney. If you ping me off-line, I'll send you a copy.