market-farming - [Market-farming] Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chris O'Byrne" <cobyrne AT myclearwave.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Intro
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:07:05 -0600

I forgot to properly introduce myself. My name is Chris O'Byrne and my wife and I just bought a place in south-central Minnesota. The almost 20 acres of this farm had been in use until just a couple of years ago, mostly for raising horses. I have about 6 to 7 acres of good pasture land that appears to have only been lightly grazed or hayed for the last several years. I'll get a better clue when spring comes. You can see a brief description at my recently designed web page at www.chrisobyrne.com. I also have close to an acre or so that I can use for gardening. A lot of it is still lawn, but I was thinking about creating tilled strips to garden in while leaving grass in between to walk on.

I have read all four books by Joel Salatin and am pretty pumped about applying his techniques. I was thinking I should start with 100 broilers and 2 beef cows and rotating them through the 6 acres of pasture. I am curious what pros or cons people see with Salatin and his techniques and what other startup advice others might have.

Peace,
Chris O'Byrne