market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] GREEN PEAS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] GREEN PEAS
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:30:16 -0500

In southern NJ we seed peas in late Feb. until late April, our last frost is early May. The biggest problem with growing peas is not the cold but too much heat. Often the late seeded peas in April never amount to much. Peas that grew through many 20 degree nights in the early stage of growth seem to make the best crops.   Many local PYO strawberry growers plant snow peas to mature along with the berries in late May. I have seeded field peas as cover crop in December and had them germinate under the snow in January and grow all winter, granted they are not the same as green peas but close...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Windsoap AT aol.com wrote:

We have planted green or "english" peas several times and been hit or miss, mostly miss, on our timing.  Has anybody in the mid south had success?  How early in the spring can we plant?  How much frost/freeze will they take?  Have customers begging for them; advice appreciated.  Thanks
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Terrell, tx  (East of Dallas)