market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Woolyworms?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: a <elsaella AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Woolyworms?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 05:12:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Lucy,

You wrote that woolyworms are inconclusive about a hard winter.Is this a phenology sign of nature.And what did you mean?
Regards
Andrea

Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com> wrote:
We got our first frost Tuesday as well and woke this morning to a freeze
(the TV weather people made sure to warn us well about the freeze
yesterday) So we went out and got the remaining peppers, basil,
tomatoes, eggplant yesterday evening. We have lots of things including
some tomatoes, melons and peppers in hoophouses plus lots of cold
weather crops under row covers (more for bug protection rather than
weather protection). Lets see, that would be the salad mix, pac choi,
chinese cabbage, radishes, spinach, beets, carrots, turnips and fall
planted onions (for next year) and we still have a planting of spuds to
dig out of the ground which hopefully will not freeze solid in the next
few weeks.

It looks like a bad winter coming though the woolyworms are inconclusive
about this.

Liz Pike wrote:

>>We had heavy frost here last night (6b if you can believe it!)...Thanks,

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste