market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: weeds etc

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mary Whitney" <mary AT whitneysorchard.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: weeds etc
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:41:46 -0700

"We have decided, I think, to buy a plastic
mulch layer and lay plastic for all our long-term crops next year. The hope
is that it will reduce our workload trying to control weeds enough that we
will actually be able to control them where we don't have plastic."

The plastic mulch layer was the best investment we've made. This is our 2nd
year, first full year using it and the labor savings was excellent. It lays
the plastic quickly as well as the drip line. We use Queen Gil drip line in
most all applications.
We will even experiment with planting baby apple trees with plastic mulch as
the first few years is the most difficult in keeping the weeds away from the
little trees. With the mulch we will only have to worry about the middle of
the rows and the mower should take care of that just fine.

Would like to hear more about using the white clover between rows. Does is
spread? Might be something to consider between apple tree rows??

Mary Whitney

--
www.whitneysorchard.com
SweetBriar Rabbits - Fryers available

--

  • [Market-farming] Re: weeds etc, Mary Whitney, 09/25/2003