market-farming - [Market-farming] Heirloom tomatoe trial and peaches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Heirloom tomatoe trial and peaches
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 14:06:09 -0400

At this years heirloom tomato trials the public was invited in to taste
test tomatoes. A long row of tables was set up with about 40
varieties. This year we displayed mostly small fruited and
grape/cherry types. People were asked to taste and judge the best on a
scale of one to five. The winner was Snow White, its an ivory colored
tomato that matures pale yellow...
NJ ranks forth nationwide in peach production, a taste testing of 100
varieties of peaches and nectarines will take place Sept, 3 in
Gloucester county, if you would like to go call 856-3076450. Tree
fruit experts will discuss everything you need to know about growing
peaches.
I know 99.9% of you can not make this event, but in a climate of budget
cuts in almost every state its very good to see we in NJ still take
market farming serious.
Perhaps some of you folks in the midwest could convince the powers that
be to spend a little more tax money on fresh market fruit and vegetable
research and a little less on ways to grow 400 bushel corn ...
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

  • [Market-farming] Heirloom tomatoe trial and peaches, robert schuler, 09/02/2003