market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: eggs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Bosko" <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: eggs
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:54:39 -0700

I have a good friend that runs 2 tractors for her broilers -non egg
production chickens. It works very well for her. The chickens can get in
out of the rain and heat of the sun. They are nestled in a canyon with
plenty of coyotes, badgers and other predators - and has yet to lose a bird
to them. She did have one problem when she first got the tractor - moved it
too fast and hurt a couple chicks. But she loves the tractors and has
encouraged me to start making a pair for myself. I'm building one that has
laying boxes for my RI's.

I'm not sure I understand the fellow who didn't' think it was fair to the
birds. The chickens get new feed each day, aren't stuck in a henhouse, and
are protected from the predators. They get to eat fresh green grass and new
bugs. So long as you don't over crowd them - I see it as a great humane
thing for the birds. Clipping the wings seems more inhumane than near free
range tractors.

-Mike