market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Regulations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Regulations
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:27:52 -0400

Pat Call the Ohio dept. of Agriculture (their web site might have the information on it but I have found the site hard to navigate and lots of pages are missing) and ask.

There are no national rules for farmer's markets unless you happen to sell at a USDA market. Most in Ohio are not USDA market but locally run markets. generally to sell baked goods they have to come from a licensed facility. There are few restrictions of produce but value added stuff (bagged things specifically cannot take up more than a 10'x10'x2' area or else they have to come out of a licensed facility. But there are many many exceptions to the Ohio farmer's market rules as they are very badly written. I believe you will want to talk to the marketing people at ODA. I remember my husband went to a workshop on produce rules in Ohio a couple of years ago and he said there were at least 4 contradictions to every rule so that basically they were unenforceable.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste