market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] ??/ sweet corn prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] ??/ sweet corn prices
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:16:46 -0500

Regards to the list:

Hi Lu.  I think it’s great that your corn prices are going up.  Are you going to still plant corn at this time of the year or are you thinking about next year?  When I got my tax number, the lady who helped me said her sister and husband raised sweet corn and sold it from a pickup on the main drag in their town.  They make more on the corn in the summer than they do working their regular jobs all year, she said.  A lot of college kids grow corn and sell it for tuition – also watermelons.  I read an article a few years back about a hog farmer trading hogs to the University of Missouri cafeteria for tuition for his daughter.  The people around here usually sell corn for $3.00 a dozen.  We’re in north central Missouri and our corn is drying up – don’t think we’re going to have much, if any.

Marie in Missouri

Hi!  Just wondering what  other growers are asking for their sweet corn.  Here in western Wis it is $5  for 13  -15 ears.  We've had great growing weather for corn  but the price keeps climbing -thinking of planting lots to help pay my daughter's college tuition.  Lu Jasperson Fresh Start Garden