market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Greens and scallions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Greens and scallions
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:26:09 -0400

Linda Kerr asked:
"can anyone who has grown garlic scallions tell me the distance
between the plants & rows? And when to harvest?"

David Stern in upstate New York recommends planting
small whole garlic bulbs 6" apart in February, for Garlic
Greens, and cutting them when they get to 10" tall
(May?). They will regrow and can be cut 3 times. For
Garlic Scallions, he suggests sprinkling small cloves in
a continuous line in a furrow, again in February. Pull
whole plants when they reach 8" in height (April here in
Virginia, I found.) It's also possible to replant small
cloves immediately after harvesting the main garlic
crop, and grow garlic scallions that way. He suggests
sorting the main crop in the field, and only taking the
good big bulbs to cure, and 'throwing the small ones
back in" (like fishing?).
What I did myself was to plant the small cloves in
the fall immediately after planting the main garlic crop,
using the cloves deemed too small to make "real
garlic". I planted them about 4" apart, pulled every other
one as scallions in April and cut the rest as garlic
greens in May. Easy!! Row spacing? About 9", because
that fits with our beds.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Virginia, zone 6b