market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Newbie (again) with Cutflower Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Laurie Hodges <lhodges1 AT unl.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Newbie (again) with Cutflower Question
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 14:11:22 -0500

Lots of things will grow "wet" and you'll carve out a niche for unusual cut flowers.

A few possibilities:

Pussy willows, curly willows, and all other willows.
Camassia - a spring blooming bulb native to northwest US.
Various ferns like: sensitive fern (fronds and sporangiaphores ("seed" heads)
Equisetum
Forget me nots (M. sylvatica)
rushes (Juncus species, winter and summer)
miniature cattails
sedges - green and dried
Pickerel weed flowers (will close at night-- warn your customers)
Joe-Pye Weed
Swamp milkweed (Asclepia incanata -- beautiful pink flowers, also there are white cultivars-- see Johnny's catalogue)
Primroses  -- all sorts
All the mints make great green foliage for bouquets and love wet ground. I like spearmint best for it's lighter green color.

Many flower books have lists in the back of the book categorized by habitat. Check some out at the library or bookstore.

Think creatively. Notice what is wild and beautiful. Use raised beds when needed. Go for it!