market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cool

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT access4less.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cool
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:32:23 -0600

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 02:47:06PM -0600, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Well the good weather didn't last. It got me one more time. Was 29 degrees
> this morning. So we did lose some pepper and tomatoes. 30 flats of pepper
> and 30 flats of tomatoes, bit the dust.Will start again Monday. Bill
> Bradshaw Cherokee Co. Texas

We had a highly radiational freeze; areas that were protected by brush
suffered little damage. I have one fig patch that is surrounded by
post oak that had almost no damage. In an open field, I had tomatoes
frozen under 5 gallon plastic buckets. Figs in the open have at least
lost all their foliage. I estimate mid-20s in the open and 30-32 in
protected areas. It gives me an opportunity to herbicide the weeds in
the asparagus! I lost about 1500 tomatoes, but have about 3000 more
ready to go out. Potatoes frozen back. Sweet corn will have to be
re-planted.

This is only a couple of days before our record late freeze here in
central Texas, about 30 miles south of Austin.

--
Willie Time for a Kurdish state?
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html