market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: onions to garlic to leeks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: onions to garlic to leeks
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:45:31 -0500

Dorene -

You've lost me with the below. How long before germ. to distribution with leeks? Are you talking growing them for a year?

Have you worked with the 'bunching leeks' that Johnnie's offers?

-Allan

BTW, I've been growing leeks from seed for years now (and have JAUNE DE POITOU offered in the SSE Yearbook) and have had them germinate, transplant, grow and overwinter just great. I admit a preference for the French varieties, but they seem to do better than onions (plus hold well in the ground) such that would it be more profitable (or less trouble for a CSA grower) to offer leeks instead of onions? I just grow them because as a cook, I think they offer a nicer flavor in long-cooked dishes and as a grower, they are so easy! However, those of you who have to make money at this might want to investigate further.

  • [Market-farming] Re: onions to garlic to leeks, Allan Balliett, 02/28/2003