market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dcimmarr AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Questions
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:28:40 EST

Dave,
      The best way to determine what garlic will do well in your area is to try to find a local source, otherwise if you order from say....California, the garlic may not acclimitize very well for a couple of years.  I think you had also asked about a garlic variety for spring planting. You can plant in the spring and get ok results but the bulbs will be small. They will develop into normal bulbs dividing as they should but their size will be comprimised. The best palnting is a fall planting esp in your area. A good estimate for planting time is soil temperature at four inch depth of 50 degrees. I have some photos of a spring planting vs a fall planting to show bulb size, as that was one of the testing plots I ran last year. Let me know if you want me to send them along, then you can decide if you would be happy with a spring planting.
Denise Cimmarrusti

  • Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Questions, Dcimmarr, 02/27/2003