market-farming - [Market-farming] Not about Manure. Please!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ed Clifford" <hmdrawrod AT citlink.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Not about Manure. Please!
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:39:30 -0500

Del,
I think that if you came out with a better pop, (soda in NY), people
would buy it. I know people are always on the lookout for local products
with a "health" benefit, real or imagined. Same in the stores. Most of the
resistance I have found in local stores is not being able to supply year
round. I'm making an effort to accommodate them.
I have gone to several marketing workshops and have found it almost
laughable when people say you have to "educate" the consumer. I am always
available to talk how my farm is run, I have brochures telling people how
and why I produce, and If I get the least amount of interest...I'll talk for
hours. Problem is most people want what they want and to leave. I don't feel
it is my job to tell them how stupid and naive they are. They have a life to
live and it's not farming. I'm sure the same thing goes for grocery stores.
Stores will sell rocks if they could make it profitable. Most market farmers
would do the same. A smaller minority, (and I think there are some here),
only want to sell what they want to sell. Take it or leave it. I realize
that in order to make a profit, (there's that dreaded word again), I have to
bend with the consumer, not the other way around.
Ed Clifford
Shale Rock Farm