market-farming - [Market-farming] DCFM and Meat Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] DCFM and Meat Sales
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:55:28 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2003 9:02:37 PM Central Standard Time, mrfarm AT frontiernet.net writes:

Do you know if they do allow the sale of meat at any of the Madison markets?

Hi Rick,
As long as you are producing your own, have it processes at a licensed and inspected facility, and have the means to keep it frozen or chilled to meet regulations, I believe any of these markets allow the sale of meat.  DCFM has several meat vendors that I can think of .... Ostrich, buffalo, beef, and fish are a few.
Providing something unusual and unique is always a hit.  Have you checked into selling wholesale to Whole Foods or Magic Mill?  They both encourage local organic farmers.
Request the market regulations from each of the markets that you want to attend so you can be sure that you qualify.
www.madfarmmkt.org has phone numbers for the market managers.
I would think that they would have the market managers numbers for the Hilldale Market and others, too.

HTH,
Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi, WI