market-farming - [Market-farming] Hybrid versus open pollinated

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hybrid versus open pollinated
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 13:07:17 -0500

Hi, Folks!

I've been growing OP tomatoes for Seed Savers Exchange for the past 10 years. I have 2 varieties that I'm responsible for and 3 "open slots" in my growing area to grow out tomatoes for other SSE collegues. Some work great, some don't.

If you can't take the time to trial varieties (and not everyone can, which is why folks like me exist), find a nut like me (or several of them) in your own growing area and ASK THEM what works and what doesn't.

A few heirlooms work everywhere, but most don't -- their strength and their weakness is that they were developed for a specific region for a specific purpose. If you're in that region and growing them for that purpose, you'll have the right variety. If you try a variety that worked in a different climate, it may or may not work for you.

With literally thousands of available heirloom tomato varieties, there are a few that will work great no matter where you are. The key is to find out which ones will work for *you*.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of