market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 02:45:06 -0600

> > With the cost of seed being what it is and the need to be assured of
> > production for my shareholders it would seem that the ability to save
seed
> > from year to year might end up costing dearly?
>
> >Yes, I want the flavor, and yes I would love to save
> >seeds, but at what short or long term risks?

Clarence,
I grow all heirlooms, except for 2 hybrids - Sun Gold and a grape
cherry. I grew over 200 tomato plants this past year - and very little
damage either from disease or bugs. I have had Septoria Leaf spot in the
past, but didn't see any damage in production this year from it.

I have been growing all heirlooms for several years now, and have found
that the heirlooms climatize themselves to your microclimate. This has to
do, I would suppose, with the seed selection - those that made it most
healthily are those that I save seeds from.

I read that others have had questionable results from heirloom tomatoes,
but I have had pretty consistant results with varieties that I have chosen
over the years that work well for me. Some of the most productive have been
Tommy Toe (large heirloom red cherry), Czechoslovakian (very large heirloom
pink paste tomato with few seeds), and Silvery Fir Tree (early, red, medium
sized tomato). There are many more that work, but those come to mind as
some of my favorite.

As Liz mentioned, growing a few heirlooms might be the best way to go to
discover with heirlooms work for you. The heirlooms and open-pollinateds
have worked for many, many years, and I have a lot of confidence in
-Jill - Wisconsin