market-farming - Re: bale unroller and rhubarb

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bale unroller and rhubarb
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:18:27 -0500

Marie,

I bought rhubarb roots from Shumway- I got really large roots, about the
size of small sweet potatoes, and all survived. They carry Victoria- an
old variety that's mostly green with some red.

The advantage is Victoria stays tender through the summer. I harvest
stems in the late Spring when our market starts and again in the late
Fall right before the first freeze kills off the top growth. When I
harvest in the Spring, I take only about 1/2 of the stems from the large
plants, leaving enough leaves to make food to store in the roots- kind
of like asparagus.

Shumway's web site:
http://www.rhshumway.com/index.cfm

Order from them early in the winter, they sell out fast. Also, roots
are only available in the Spring- that's the time to plant them. I
don't know why your roots would die over the summer. Could be too much
harvested, weakening the plant, or weed pressure, or drought. Remember
that rhubarb is a dock plant that originates in Siberia and treat it
accordingly. It should survive the winters here.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm