market-farming - Re: Newbie intro and question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nicole <nbrown AT bbtel.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Newbie intro and question
  • Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 10:05:18 -0500

Jackie wrote: >>Nicole, do you shell all these nuts by hand?<<

Well, that is my intention. I never seem to get much of them done, though. I hull them individually by rolling my foot over them, you get pretty fast after a while. I put the nuts into milk crates and set them under the eave of the barn to get rinsed, or down in the spring below our house. They dry for a couple weeks up to a year or so (I'm currently working on shelling last year's nuts that DID get hulled and washed, and they're great!). I was using a pair of pliers and a hammer to smash them (plier to hold, hammer to smash), but this year we're working on designing a hinge-type nut cracker. The first prototype worked well until the hinge bent too much; it cracks the nuts without smashing them, leaving you with more big pieces. I pick the nutmeats out by hand with a regular nutpicker, though I'd rather have a nice sharp pick like a dental tool.

Black walnuts are high in Omega-3 EFAs, particularly DHA, and as far as vegetarian sources of Omega-3 go, it's pretty much either black walnuts or ground flax seeds. Guess which I prefer? :) About an ounce a day, or a small handful, is enough.

Since I put my back out last weekend, I decided I'm going to have to find a different way to hull them. My neighbor has an old-fashioned corn sheller I'm going to try.

Nicole in KY

  • Re: Newbie intro and question, Nicole, 11/03/2002