market-farming - Re: privet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: privet
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:26:23 -0500

> Don't know about how it does elsewhere, but privet is an invasive species
> here in the South that displaces many native woodland species. Down here,
it
> deserves to be planted with great concern for spreading -- if at all.

Privet drove me to Roundup on more than one occasion.

Where I couldn't spray (when you can't beat them, join them), I ended up
making a twiggy kind of basket from the flexible stems (left leaves
attached) to sell at market. Worked up quick and easy, filled with assorted
stuff, and sold out every time. I also dried the branches bearing the hard
purple berries to use in winter arrangements. In the spring, the blooms
produced an almost sickeningly sweet scent, used a few branches in with my
arrangements. Almost got to the point I wished I had MORE privet...but that
thought went away real quick ; ))

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC