market-farming - organic lawsuit vs. USDA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: organic lawsuit vs. USDA
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:48:24 -0800

Just in case anyone is interested in this article from the Pesticide Action Networks Update Services........ here is the first paragraph verbatim...contact me off the listserve and I will email the entire article.... nan at dancing goats farm, n. mississippi

" On October 16, 2002, one week before the new, and long awaited U.S.
Organic Food Production Act was to go into effect, organic farmers and food
safety organizations filed a legal petition to force the U.S. Department of
Agriculture (USDA) to establish a peer review panel to oversee the
accreditation of organic certifiers. Both the new law and USDA's own
regulations require this peer review, but to date USDA has not moved to
create the panel. The petition was filed by the Center for Food Safety (CFS)
and joined by Beyond Pesticides, National Campaign for Sustainable
Agriculture, Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA and Union of
Concerned Scientists."

  • organic lawsuit vs. USDA, Nan Johnson, 10/28/2002