market-farming - Newbie intro and question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nicole <nbrown AT bbtel.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Newbie intro and question
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:33:26 -0400

Hi!

I just came over from Homestead-Work. My name is Nicole, hubby is Terry, and we live with our 2 daughters (Rachel is 2 and Megan is 9 months) in rural central Kentucky. Anyone else here from this area? Louisville, Lexington, thereabouts?

After gardening organically for about 5 years, I am about to embark on my first organic market garden. If I do well for a couple of years, I intend to start a CSA or market to area health-food stores and restaurants.

Right now I'm gathering, hulling and washing the black walnuts that are pelting my house (Metal roof - very loud - don't recommend it!), and maybe this year I really *will* get around to selling shelled nuts. Are there any regulations I need to be aware of with this?

The recent post of info on organic tobacco production prompts me to ask, is there any market for organic hops and barley for home-brewing? I don't know about growing grains just yet (we only have 10 acres), but is Hops hard to grow?

Looking forward to this list!

Nicole in KY