market-farming - Re: Spider Mites

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: M McGuire <Michael.McGuire AT uvi.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Spider Mites
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:27:45 -0700

There are plenty of solutions for spider mites, but none of them will work in every situation. Certain pesticides, organic or not, will make the problem worse, others can be very effective under the right conditions. Heat or water stressed plants are a bonanza for spider mites--the best preventative measure is to ensure your crops are planted at the right time of the year and get enough water. For example, there are certain eggplant varieties that we know we cannot grow in the summer because of mite pressure, while other varieties are resistant.

Spritzing leaves in the greenhouse will do nothing to stop spider mites but it will lead to botrytis fungal infection which is even worse than the mites. There are natutal predators that will control mites in the greenhouse including mites that eat other mites. There is not much you can do in the field, pesticides only give partial control and most cases make the problem worse, keeping weeds down in the field is a good preventive measure. Here in the north the cold winters are the best control...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.