market-farming - wormie corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: wormie corn
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:13:39 -0400

Bob,
If this happens again and you think the time is worth it to save the market
try this cut the tips neatly off. Peel one strip of husk away, then package
same length ears together and price per package. I saw them done this was 3
or 4 on a styrofoam tray and shrink wrapped, but I think you wouldn't need
the tray just a clear plastic bag. Time would be an issue but you would
also make these small packages add up to more than a reg. dozen. Beth

I made it clear to customers during the last week that all ears had worms,
and pesticides did not work, at my home farm almost nobody cared, as long as
its fresh picked they bought it anyway, but at my Atlantic shore market that
gets mostly city tourists they rejected it...Bob.

  • wormie corn, Hook Family, 09/04/2002