market-farming - Re: corporations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corporations
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:15:39 -0500

> >What is this constant demonization of "corporations." It is as if they
are
> >the devil on this list.

MMcGuire Wrote:
What I am trying to say is that perhaps the problem is neither with
corporations or government
> themselves, but with the way money politics corrupts the relationships
> between the two.

I think you have the crux of it there, MMcGuire, except that I would add
this. In my mind, the government exists to consider the greater good.
Corporations exist for their own profit. When corporations influence the
government too strongly, as they have in the past 2 decades, as well as
other times in the history of the US, then you have government working for
the profits of corporations, rather than the wellbeing of the people of the
United States. That is the situation that we are currently in.

Another problem is that corporations have become so powerful, that they are
more powerful than many of the governments of countries. Corporations are
making worldwide decisions about ownership of water, whether a country can
have a postal system, whether a state can ban a carcinogenic additive from
gasoline that leaches into the ground water, etc. Corporations are suing
national and state governments over the latter two issues even as I write,
under the provisions in NAFTA, which was fashioned by corporations and
corporate influenced politicians.

There are many remedies to this - two major ones are below

*restructuring businesses so that their purpose is to provide a needed good
or service as well as a decent livelihood for its workers, rather
than "only profits".
*revising and reforming our election system so that money is less able to
corrupt our elected officials, so that they are representing us primarily
rather than corporations primarily
* educate people as to what is going on, so they are aware of the threat and
erosion of the basic rights that we all value on this list

I agree that it is good to have a list that encompasses all. We all
fight so hard to provide healthy food. It is very important to know what is
going on in this country and world, as it affects the survival of us, our
children, and the land that we all value so much. -Jill

  • corporations, M McGuire, 08/31/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: corporations, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 08/31/2002