market-farming - Re: harvesting sunchokes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: harvesting sunchokes
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 07:08:42 -0400

it's the inulin in sunchokes that makes them valueable to people with problems processing sugars in their body. Inulin is not only sweetness that doesn't trigger insulin reactions, large or small, but also, it turns out, is a great food for the very intestinal flora that helps the body to process regular sugars.

I find it very interesting to learn that native North Americans apparently knowingly ate the sunchokes to keep their internal flora alive much as we modern folks would take acidopholis caps.

-Allan

  • harvesting sunchokes, Paul, 08/31/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: harvesting sunchokes, Allan Balliett, 08/31/2002