market-farming - Lettuce varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Lettuce varieties
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:04:42 -0400

Allan asks:
> I'm curious: what varities of lettuce are people seeding right now?
Here in central Virginia, zone 6b, i'm sowing mostly
Batavians such as Cardinale, Sierra, Nevada, Pablo,
Magenta, Batavia Blonde, Kagraner Sommer. Also a
few iceberg: Summertime, Sun Devil. Anuenue is an
OK but small iceberg. De Morges Braun (lovely pink
and green soft-leaved lettuce). Loma (small lettuce
with green indented leaves). Also some Romaine:
Kalura, (a big head from Johnny's), Apollo. I buy
seeds from Fedco (yes, they're closed till the winter),
Johnny's and Southern Exposure.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA

  • Lettuce varieties, pam, 07/29/2002