market-farming - Re: thinning corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: thinning corn
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:20:58 -0500

Bob,
    I have a hard time pulling out perfectly good plants too, but for corn, it must be done in order to have enough room and food for those chosen to grow to their best potential.  It is heartbreaking.

    I thin them when they are about 2 inches high, and choose the strongest and healthiest one to survive.  It is best to cut off with small scissors down by the roots, so that the roots of the one you want to survive are not disturbed.  - Jill

Folks,

We planted 3 corn seeds for each one we wanted to grow.  Now we are seeing often 2 and sometimes 3 corn plants coming up.  At some point we are suppose to thin them.

When do you thin?
Why do you thin?  I have a real hard problem pulling up a perfectly good looking corn plant.

Bob