market-farming - RE: Potted bulbs...any experience out there?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carole Pivarnik <carole AT tuliphillfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Potted bulbs...any experience out there?
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:21:05 -0400

At 08:38 AM 5/24/2002 -0500, Alison Wiediger wrote:
>We do this with lilies - both Asiatic and Oriental. We find that they sell
>very well at Farmers Market. They are a colorful pot, and the customer gets
>can see the profit potential. In our small-town farmers market, we get 4.95
>for all our perennial pots, including the lilies, and almost always sell

Thanks for that good information! I have 250 pots planted with Peacock
Orchids (they are a kind of glad that looks like an orchid) that are
*supposed*
to be 20" tall when grown. I bought the bulbs for myself then decided what
the
heck, I might as well pot them up....they are supposed to have a lovely
fragrance, which will be a nice selling point, and a long bloom time.
It will be late summer before they bloom but I am looking forward to seeing
how they do (I put 4 corms in each pot, so it would look fuller when they
grow).

I got a bit of a late start this year, since I only started decided to do the
market garden thing in April, but just wait til next year, haha!

How early do you start your first planting of bulbs, and do you use a
green house, row covers, or just the open air?

Carole P in VA