market-farming - Re: Bait

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bait
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:01:06 -0400

Re: Catching groundhogs - last summer and fall we trapped 14,
using cantaloupes (they were taking them anyway!) and winter
squash. They preferred the Jarrahdale and kabocha types. We
made grounhog stew - it was pretty tasty, though not as nice as
the cantaloupes we might have eaten if the groundhogs hadn't. Our
extension agent, who had lent us the traps, joined us for lunch on
one of the groundhog days.
About re-locating them: it's illegal in Virginia to relocate wildlife
beyond your own land, and maybe so in other states. And it's
hardly kind to dump them on a neighbor anyway. And we didn't
have anywhere we wanted groundhogs aroung here....
Pam Dawling,
Twin Oaks, Virginia

  • Re: Bait, Tom Anslow, 04/27/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>