market-farming - Re: Profitability

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ron Malor <rmalor AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Profitability
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 07:28:44 +1000

At 09:49 09/04/2002 -0400, you wrote:
In a message dated 4/9/02 9:27:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tools AT amaonline.com writes:

Dairy farms have another valuable asset, Poop! Compost it. The Community gardens in Austin, TX Get $25.00 a yard for it.

Yep, sell it by the 20kg bag. Sheep manure is also highly marketable. Makes a great mulch. However the biggest non-commercial vendors are groups like Rotary/Lions/P&C clubs who flog it off to raise for local schools and community facilities (eg swimming pool). I agree that dairy farming (and that includes goats and sheep) is a hard grind with hours that aren't negotiable. Lots of dairy farmers in this area. Yet to see one take a holiday. All good people. Yet to hear one whinge or whine. My view is that if something is getting up your nose then (a) if you can do something about it do it and don't whine, (b) if you can't do anything to fix it what's the point of whining anyway - get on with something more profitable. Just my $0.02 (in $AUD).

Regards,
Ron...

And in New England, Great Brook Farm in Carlisle gets $30 a yard for bulk cow manure with free delivery for 5 yards or more.  They also sell it in bags for $3.50 a bag--composted and aged for more than a year.  They sell loam, too, although I'm not sure how they do that without digging a big hole on their property.  It says it's well-fertilized, so I guess they mix some manure in with it.  It sells for $19 a yard with free delivery for 7 yards or more.

Marj
---
You are currently subscribed to as: rmalor AT bigpond.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

Ron Malor

'Redbank Grazing'
South Mole Creek
Northern Tasmania