market-farming - RE: Post deregulation of the Dairy industry in Australia

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Post deregulation of the Dairy industry in Australia
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 09:46:29 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/02 10:40:37 PM Central Daylight Time, css AT ioa.com writes:

I wonder all the time about this phenomenon

Well the industrialization of agriculture was put in affect with the 1995 Farm bill and these is no way of of reversing what has happened until the governent comes in a breaks up the monoplys that has been created in the agricultural industry.   The prices that farmers recieve have nothing to do with supply and demand, it swings only on what one of three Corporation is willing to pay for a certain commodity, beings there is no competion they pay what they want.

We used to raise a lot of hogs until we lost all of our markets to this process, today there is only one market to sell to and they are basically by contract only.  I know a few people that still are rasing a few hogs without contract and they can only take them to a sale barn to sell and take 10 to 15 dollars less than the market to sell them, but still no one in the goverment really cares.

The main purpose of the 95 Farm Bill was to reorganize agriculture so that they could shut down about hslf of their ASCS offices around the country by the year 2005 and save the goverment a ton of money., howerver their long range plans have changed a bit the main plan is still intact.  Some where around 2.8 mil farmers have been put out of business and this trend will continue as long as the money flows to the right pockets.

This is no phenomenon, is is and was a very carefully planned plan to remove the family farmer off the land and the change over to Corporate Agriculture so the government and the Banks have less people to deal with.  Our lenders in our area doesn't even feel there is a business to deal with unless you set up a Corporation so getting a loan is out of the question.

The Dairy issue sounds a lot like the dairy buy out we had in this country, where the government bought out cows to lower production rather than help some operator with some Value added project, DIDN' T  WORK.  Was a real mess and forced down cattle prices to 40 year low, many cattle producer went out of business with this government buyout.

I started farming in 1964 and have seen a lot of changes in this business some good and some bad, but the worst of all has been the government programs, they have killed the farmily farm and the good methods of substainable agriculture so the over production of Corporate Agriculture will win out, is a shame that we all stood by and let it happen, now I feel it is to late to try to reverse.

Phil from Iowa