market-farming - Re: source for 5-gal buckets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: source for 5-gal buckets
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:30:34 -0500

Jennie Lee wrote:

> Rick and Tracy -
> The laundromats in my town sell the 5 gallon plastic buckets
> that carry their bulk detergent for $1 with lids. Maybe laundry
> detergent is a contaminant though? I don't know. Also our local Ace
> Hardware store carries brand new ones for a similar price, with lids.
> Jennie Lee
> Oxford, MS

If you are using these buckets for any food items they must be food
grade plastic and detergent buckets are not (nor are paint, spackle etc.
buckets).

The best source I have found for buckets are restaurants, especially
sandwich shops that use a lot of pickles. We pick up several each week
from a couple of restaurants near a farmer's market site. Buckets from
restaurants are all food grade and often put through the dishwasher so
they are clean.
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to as: goodows AT infinet.com
> leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)