market-farming - Re: Tomatoe transport to market and bed shapers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tomatoe transport to market and bed shapers
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 07:28:27 -0800

Hi Jim and Julie,

I, too used recycled wooden boxes or LA lugs from the grocery store laid them in the sun for a week before I'd needed them. I lined them with newspapers and picked directly into them so as to handle the ripe fruit only once. I actually "trained" my local produce guys to remove the lids carefully and keep them so I had stackable units.

If you must go new to meet certification standards, collaboration and collectivism is it. There are really nice self-lidded paperboard fruit boxes that come unprinted so you can use your own label. If there are old packing sheds in your area, you may be lucky enough to find wood to use in your market display.

Hey Allan! Come on over to Southern SAWG in Chattanooga. I'm coming down and would love to finally meet you. I'd also like to see the "Kogelschatz/McGregor Bed Former." Alex has it right, the fewer trips across the field the better for everything - the soil, you equipment , your bod, your time, and your bottomline.

I used a Falc "Panda" spader and it pulled enough of a bed for me, but I used a semi-permanent bed set-up so I was basically running in the same wheel tracks from year-to-year. I have friends who are organic melon growers who use a bed shaper/plastic mulch layer combo to pull their beds and other friends using bed shapers. The shapers they use are not much bigger than the spader. Some of how well this works, obviously, has to do with soil moisture when your doing bed prep.

You might try sniffing around Market Farm Implement Company 257 Fawn Hollow Road, Friedens, Pa. 15541 Phone: (814)-443-1931- they put up a website last year http://www.marketfarm.com/ They always seemed to have great stuff of appropriate scale in their catalog - new and previously owned equipment.

Marcie
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln
Auburn, CA 95603-7900
(530) 885-9201

  • Re: Tomatoe transport to market and bed shapers, Marcie Rosenzweig, 01/02/2002