market-farming - RE: Duration of juglone (walnut root residue) in soil?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Duration of juglone (walnut root residue) in soil?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:02:07 -0500

we have at least 20 black walnuts around the place. The largest (so I don't cut it down) is near my major field. The closer you get, the smaller the plants. No vegetables grow under the limb span. I've also noticed that the nuts (which somehow fall really far from the tree) are another source of trouble for crops.

I have cut walnuts down and planted in the general area. I haven't taken special note but my feeling is that the effect lasts for a number of years after the tree is gone. Gradually improving, but never getting great (we're talking short term, less than a decade)