market-farming - Re: the big 'O' question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: the big 'O' question
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:08:36 -0800

At our farmers market you are not allowed to use the words PESTICIDE or HERBICIDE or FUNGICIDE as in "Pesticide free", etc. I can understand how limiting 'organic' is a good thing in many ways, many years ago I purchased 40 lbs of organic peaches for canning just to find that the farmer was only using the term but not the practise. However, limiting the use of 'pestide' I find is quite confusing, why can't one say that they don't use pesticides if they actually don't, we all know that our farms can be inspected at any time for proof of our claims. But, for some reason everyone is allowed to use "SPRAY" as in "Spray Free". Why?......
Jacqueline