market-farming - RE: Garden Tool Suggestions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tim Davis" <timd AT johnnyseeds.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Garden Tool Suggestions
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:47:24 -0500

Alison,

I was excited to hear that you were interested in trying our new tool
(Long Handled Wire Weeder) but may I suggest rather than cutting it down,
try our regular wire weeder (part # 9673) specifically made to be used
sitting or kneeling. As for the Long Handled version, Eliot Coleman
strongly suggested Johnny's to develop it for the same purpose you suggest
using it for, but in a standing position. As for the narrow distance
between plants, what Eliot does (and I recommend) is twist the handle so
the edge of the weeder is at a 45 degree angle rather than a 90 degree. I
have seen Eliot walk down a row weeding his intensively planted beds
inside his winter greenhouses (salad crops) at a suprisingly fast and
steady pace, and he is weeding a 2-3" wide space between rows. It's
actually quite slick. Best of luck.

Tim Davis
Accessory Product Manager
Johnny's Selected Seeds