market-farming - Snow on hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu (market Framing)
  • Subject: Snow on hoophouses
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:29:48 EST

I have had little trouble with the weight of snow on ay of my buildings.
Have used 4'spacing on all the buildings we have built. On building I pplan
on using in the winter I put on a double layer of plastic and make a air
bubble, and the snow just slides off and this creates a very good insulator
on the ground for frost protection getting under the sides of the buildings.
I have had the frost move in 24" on the south side's , and 30" on the north
taking everything that is growing in that area.

This year I"m going to wait until March to put the coverings on the other two
building,because they won't be planted until the first of April. Should be
able to get a little better start on early market Items for May 1 when our
market gets open.

I have one small building that run's year around and it does have a problem
with white fly's because of all the fresh herbs thaat we grow in there, they
are getting harder and harder to control, but I keep fighting the good
battle.

Phil from Iowa

  • Snow on hoophouses, HackettShark, 12/04/2001