market-farming - Re: Irradiation and seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Johnston Jr." <rob AT johnnyseeds.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Irradiation and seeds
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:56:50 -0500

> The company (no competitive bids here) that is getting the contract
> for the irradiators claims it will only be irradiating flats, meaning
> letters, (there is a thickness issue - the technology can only
> irradiate a certain thickness of paper) This is great for those
> first of the season boxes of seeds, (I understand there is a proposal
> to start gassing these with -- I can't recall the agent) but how
> about those 'flats' that I receive throughout the season from
> Johnny's when I realize that I don't have enough arugula or tatsoi
> seeds.

Right. Not to mention the amateur seed exchange members mailing each other a
packet at a timel. Stay tuned. Not enough info yet to have a solution.

> (and since I'm on the subject we need to get back to that
> mid-eastern squash variety Johnny's carried several years ago, and
> not the one they carry now).

You liked Zahra (former) better than Magda (present)? How?

> And some irradiation is starting in my area of the country, DC. I
> understand some of the mail is being shipped out to an irradiation
> plant in Ohio. This is a policy that is just being implemented. We
> need to make sure our interests are protected now, before hundreds
> and hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on a technology that
> causes more harm than good. The seed companies need to take the lead
> in this one (they have more money and staff than us family farmers).

Hmmm...I think that our success follows that of our clientele. So, we have
an interest in your economic success...as I hope you do in ours. ;-)

--
Rob "Radiant" Johnston, Jr.
Chairman

  • Re: Irradiation and seeds, Rob Johnston Jr., 10/30/2001