market-farming - Re: where is everybody?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcie A. Rosenzweig" <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: where is everybody?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:26:31 -0800

Greetings from Tulelake, CA in the Klamath Basin. There has been frost every night since we got here on the 22nd. Actually feezes on three of those. Record lows in these parts. We will be here through November 8th.

We have 13 folks in our AgBusiness Planning and Management Skills course. These are some of the best growers, from the cultural standpoint, I've had the privilege of working with so far. All are at least three generations deep in the soil here with some going back five. We're all genetic dirt addicts so we have that in common, too.

The towns around here, Tulelake, Malin, Merrill, and Klamath Falls are all showing the impacts of years of low prices for farmers as well as this year's government-made disaster with the water cut-off. No one has escaped untouched. Wells are being drilled for other than domestic water for largely the first time. The underlying aquafer is an unknown at this point. In droughty years like this one, recharge may be an issue.

Hope to get to the refuges soon to do some bird-peeping. There were more birds in the sky in September, when we were here before than there are now, at the height of the migration. Re-watering the refuges came late so birdom may have looked elsewhere for lodging and food. Food is another issue. the birds depend on the ag crops around here for nutrition. No water, no crops, no human food, no bird food. The B&B where I'm staying was booked with birders this time last year. Right now, I'm the only one here until my partner gets back.

I'm off to run copies of handouts for next week's classes.

Marcie

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Lane
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 885-9201

  • Re: where is everybody?, Marcie A. Rosenzweig, 10/28/2001