market-farming - RE: EPA approves Bt corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: EPA approves Bt corn
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:17:45 -0600

Kevin, Del,
Although Bt may come from the soil, that doesn't meant that it's use and
the results of it are all fine. In soil health, balance is an important
thing. There is potassium in the soil too, but if there is too much or too
little, different health for soil, plants, organisms and microorganisms will
result.

I have read research results that state that Bt corn does result in high
concentrations of Bt in the soil around the roots of the GE corn grown
there. What the repercussions of this are, I don't know.

Jill, Wi

Kevin wrote:
> Bt is derived from the soil.

> > Has anyone read anything about problems with Bt in the soil over the
long
> > run? That is, what is the effect of Bt on life in the soil? What
other beneficial soil organisms