market-farming - Re: Pea trellis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pea trellis
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 06:12:48 -0500

Around here they use, (we do too, for lack of a better way) barbed wire.
One wire on the ground, the other in the air. The barbs make little
hooks for lacing the baling twine on the vertical axis. At the end of
the season we just cut all the string and roll up the wire, the large
posts stay. We use additional supports to prop up sagging wire for
heavier crops as the large posts are about 60 feet apart to allow the
tractor and mowers to work.

Chris
www.jakesfarm.com