market-farming - Re: quince

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: David M Guynn <davecherylguynn1 AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: quince
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:30:39 -0400

Quince were selling in a local market for $ 1.00 each
Maybe this is a new cash crop
If we don't keep all this about quince's a secret there
will be quince thieves out there Quince bushes are almost like morrell
mushroom spots ,to be protected at all costsv and bragged about. I am
hesitant about telling where i live for fear of unscrupulous ones
crossing state lines and taking our fruit from western Pa. (ops) My
friend and I are taking steps to corrall the quince market. We have a
quince orchard planted in a secret location and we are tying the known
bushes up in long term leases with their owners and in some cases buying
the bushes and moving them on to our land.

My wife of 20 yrs. refuses to have anything to do with
quinces ,finding new bushes ,making anything out of them,of eating
them,or anything. I always let about a bushel rot on the porch each year
just to see if i can get her involved ( ( turn her to the dark side.)
At $1:00 each this is a costly venture but I think she is worth it .

PS pick them when they start to turn yellow makes great quince jelly
,quince butter and can be canned like stewed apples
D Guynn
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

  • Re: quince, David M Guynn, 10/02/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: quince, Alliums, 10/02/2001
    • Re: quince, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 10/02/2001