market-farming - Re: Alaska, I lived there

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mmneedham AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Alaska, I lived there
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:06:24 EDT

In a message dated 09/24/2001 6:54:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, css AT ioa.com writes:

I was told there is enough oil under Petroleum reserve number four (navy
reserves) to function for almost a hundred years.

In the grand scheme of things, 100 years is but a millisecond.  There are not endless oil reserves, and it's unfortunate that our focus remains on using every last drop we can find instead of on using less energy and finding alternative energy sources.

The ANWR is the least touched, most pristine stretch of uninterrupted wilderness we have, and that should not be disturbed for any reason.  What it takes nature thousands of years to create, humans can destroy in a few years, largely because they fail to realize they are not masters of nature; they are an integral part of it.

Marj