market-farming - Hazelnuts (filberts)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Hazelnuts (filberts)
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 10:29:57 -0500

Regards to the list:

This year, along the road and ditches and for the first time since we've lived here, the hazelnut bushes are loaded with nuts. When do we harvest the nuts? I picked a few clusters and some dropped to the ground and I got them. Should I get them all now or wait until they turn brown? What do I do with them after I get them all? The little brown nuts are difficult to separate from the clusters. I don't want to let them go to waste - this may be the only crop we get this year.

Thanks,

Marie in Missouri

  • Hazelnuts (filberts), Marie Kamphefner, 09/08/2001